Welcome to the Big Data Lab (BDL) @ Norwegian Univ. of Sci. & Tech, Aalesund.
We witnessed a lot of activities on Big Data in EU recently, for example, this very recent Smart Data conference in Berlin highlighted strong pushes by governments and industries on the “data-driven economy“. Hence we believe that it is of paramount importance that the north-western Sunnmøre cluster of Norway to adapt quickly a big data strategy in order to maintain its leading industrial status in designing and manufacturing. The following is a well-established visual analytics framework by D. Keim.
We are developing competence in following topics in the industrial context (esp. in Ålesund and Norway), application domains of our projects cover maritime operations, ship design, marine traffic analysis, aquaculture, and etc.
- Visual Analytics
- Data integration and cleansing
- Machine learning
- Fact-based decision-support
- Applications of Industrial Internet of Things
Please contact the head of BDL, Dr. Hao Wang (hawa AT ntnu DOT no) for collaborations.
- Hao is involved with ES2017, to be held in Beijing, China, as a Program co-chair. In particular, we organise a special session on “Big Data and IIoT for the Ocean“. Please consider contributing. Authors of selected papers will be invited to submit an extended version to top international journals in these areas such IEEE TII, IEEE TSMC, JIII, ACM T-CPS.
- Hao is involved with CIT2017 (co-located with ICA3PP and NSS 2017), to be held in Helsinki, Finland, as a Program Chair. Please consider contributing.
- Hao joins the Editorial Board of the Journal Marine Science and Application, Springer.
- Master theses 2016,
- Bikram Kawan, Neural Network Time Series Prediction of Ship Motion
- Xu Zhuge, A Visual Analytics Framework for Marine Operations
- We got a paper accepted in IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, a nivå-2 journal in Cristin.
- We published three papers in the MTS/IEEE Oceans Conference 2016, which represent the initial results of our visual analytics framework for maritime operations.
- Kick-off meeting for project “AIS and Maritime Transport”, 09.03.2016
- Dr. Hao Wang is the track chair for the Cloud & Big Data track, WICON 2016, Sanya, China
- The project “AIS and Maritime Transport”, in collaboration with Assoc. Profs. Halvor Schøyen and Karina Hjelmervik from HBV, has been granted for Jan.~Dec. 2016.
- We welcome Thomas Richta, PhD student from Brno Univ. of Tech. He is visiting us for 5 months, funded by EEA/Norway Grants-CZ07, 26/01/2016.
- Together with GCE Blue Maritime, we offered a Big Data course for maritime industries. It appeared in the local newspaper Sunnmørsposten, 08/12/2015.
- Dr. Hao Wang is involved with the organisation of IEEE DataCom 2015 as a Program Chair.
- Dr. Hao Wang presented in the Open Day by IME, NTNU, 28.05.2015 (news #1, #2).
- We are hiring summer interns and/or short-term research assistants.